Project Exploration Geologist
Our client requires a 3-5 year experienced geologist to assist with its surface near-mine exploration programs in Q4 2020. The ideal candidate will be Darwin, Perth, Alice Springs or Brisbane-based, familiar with structurally-controlled gold deposits and be able to operate at a Project Geologist level (i.e., 3 – 5 years experience). Either more- or less-experienced candidates will be considered because the task assignment can be modified to some degree to suit capability. They will consider other points of hire depending on the person.
The assignment will be located about 540km NW of Alice Springs. Accommodation will be in a mine camp. Travel to and from the port of origin will be on a charter flight. The nominal work roster will be 8:6, 12 hours per day on day shift only. However, the candidate should be prepared to work a two week swing from time to time as the work program requires. Note that travel time between the camp and the mine on a mine bus is about 40 minutes each way, in addition to the 12 hour shift.
Reporting to the Senior Exploration Geologist, the key accountabilities of the role will be modified based on the experience level of the candidate. However, key accountabilities may include:
- Drill core logging or RC chip logging;
- Surface diamond or RC drill hole planning and tracking;
- Basic Drilling Contractor management (e.g., safety inspections, end-of-hole calls, facilitation of rig moves);
- Basic written reporting of exploration activities;
- The co-ordination of drill site preparation logistics in liaison with the clients in house Surface Works team.
Key Skills Required
The ideal candidate will:
- Be focussed on their own safety and the safety and wellbeing of others above all else;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills; be able to fit easily into a diverse team of Exploration- and Mine Geologists and liaise with other stakeholders around the operation;
- Be familiar with basics of drill program execution and oversight (but will be supported by senior staff);
- Be familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite, ArcGIS, Vulcan and Leapfrog (or similar 3D modelling/visualisation software.